Sunday, July 14, 2024

Pinterest interest

 



                                Pinteresting


I never really looked at Pinterest. It was always something friends would talk about when discussing boring things like the pictures of their new baby (they all look the same) and their last vacation. I never thought that it could be used for education. The article from Hu et. al (2018) made quite a buzz in the class. I would never look at Pinterest without the ruckus, but I was curious. I found Pinterest Pinteresting. 

The article discusses how it is being used by 77% of their sample was using it monthly. This study, however, found that teachers "curate" content on the lower cognitive levels. The study goes further and discusses how teachers should think of the higher thought processes of students and not just the performance of simple tasks. 

I must say I was not surprised. Do the teachers even have those higher cognitive abilities? I was discussing Russel`s barber paradox with a UM MEDICAL SCHOOL INSTRUCTOR (who thinks she is a genius), and she would just not understand. I used social media (hehehe) to show YT videos on this. I even showed her videos of theories that may have solved this issue. Nope. Still trying to explain what an operator is. 

Making things accessible and popular leads to banalization. Cool pictures will not save us when, even if well-intentioned, teachers blur the line between entertainment and education. 




Hu, S., Torphy, K. T., Opperman, A., Jansen, K., & Lo, Y. J. (2018). What do teachers share within socialized knowledge communities: A case of Pinterest. Journal of Professional Capital and Community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST

WEEK 10 Post

  The Evolution of a Knowledge-Sharing Platform When finishing my knowledge-sharing project, I noticed something interesting. On their About...

LAST POST