Monday, June 3, 2024

The Resurrection of the Spiritual Builder.






So, my father was a Mason, and he told me the legends of Hiram Abiff. Like Athena and the Demiurge, he rises again from the crevices of our minds. He is an engregore of the worshipers. 

An egregore is a concept in a concept in Greek arcana that means a spiritual being that arises from the collective thoughts and emotions of a distinct group of individuals. This is similar to the Tulpa in Budhism. The emergent collective mind is supervenient to the shared meaning a community ascribes to its reality. In modern psychology, this is insipidly compatible with mob mentality. It seems that the human mind has self-effacing properties that are engaged when in a group. Perhaps the lack of personal account stability is conducive to more overt expressions of the inner self. 

While this is usually represented in a negative light, I believe there is hope for the internet Tulpa.

This week, I took a look at the crazy sources you are not supposed to look at. I wished to go see Bohemian Grove, but tuition was like crazy. So, I looked at Wikipedia, Four Chann, and Reddit. I loved what I saw more than I would have enjoyed seeing a big owl, Molock. We all have our biases and blind spots. When community-owned truth like the one in these sites is constantly refined by an active community, the collective irons our inadequacies and averages out perspectives. If I were to write a piece on Kant and mention Augustine (one who I am not too familiar with), an expert on Augustine in the community would correct me, vet my ideas, or improve on them. We use this mechanism to validate peer-reviewed research. Well, the research is as good as the peers in this case. The advantage of these forums over traditional academic sources is that they control for the usual blind spots and biases of academia through its lay experts and still bring formalities and knowledge from academics to the community. 

When it comes to self-constructed knowledge, diversity truly is our strength. So, don't be too shy to peer behind the corner and explore online communities. It will only cost your first-born thoughts. Hail to Moloch indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAST POST

WEEK SIX

 WEEK SIX POST Crook (2012) got me thinking. More and more, we see the concept of "digital native" coming up. While I still have a...

LAST POST